1. Electronics and Communications Engineering
Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits and Systems
- Design of integrated circuits for wireless power transfer systems
- Design of low phase noise CMOS oscillators for millimeter wave applications
- Sensors electronics
- Radio frequency transceivers design
- RF-CMOS Front-end (LNA, PA, Mixer, VCO, VGA)
- RFID systems
Digital and Embedded Systems
- Application specific and reconfigurable architectures
- Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) and System-on-Chip
- Embedded systems
- High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC/H.265)
- Versatile Video Coding (VVC/H.266)
- Machine vision systems
- Human body communication
- Wireless body area networks
- Embedded systems for IoT applications
- High Performance Computing/Processing Systems
Digital Signal Processing
- Image and Video Processing Using Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Speech and Audio processing
- Multi-dimension Signal Processing and Stochastic Processes
- Multimedia Systems
- Pattern Recognition
- Computer Vision and Image Analysis
- Adaptive Filtering Design
- Sparse Signal Processing and Applications
- Smart and precision agriculture.
Wireless Communication Systems
- 5G/6G and beyond Communication System.
- Machine learning and deep learning applications in communication systems
- Broadband Wireless Systems
- PHY layer Design
- Coding for communication Systems
- Quantum commination
- Cognitive and software – Defined Radio
- Ultra-low power wireless communication systems.
- Aerial and vertical wireless networks.
- PHY layer security
- Wireless-Optical Communication
- IoT communications and networks.
Photonics Communications Systems
- Silicon Photonics and Photonic Crystals
- Visible Light Communications (VLC)
- Free-Space Optics (FSO)
- Quantum Information Theory
- Digital Signal Processing for Optical Communications
- Coherent Lightwave Systems
Microwave Engineering and Remote Sensing
- Wireless Power Transfer Systems
- Batteryless Internet of Things (IoT) Sensing Systems Using Green RF Energy
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)/ Machine Learning (ML) for RF and Antennas
- Nano- Antennas and Passive Devices
- Antenna and Resonators for Imaging Technologies
- Microwave and 60GHz mm Wave Antennas and Circuits
- Antenna and Rectennas for IOT Applications
- Energy Harvesting for Implantable and Wearable Devices
- Microwave and mm-wave Wireless Energy Harvesting
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Electromagnetic Applications
- Frequency and Time Domain Techniques for Antennas and HF Devices
- Reconfigurable Antennas and Arrays
- Novel Electromagnetic Materials
- Remote Sensing and Satellite Observation
- Microwave in Quantum Computing and Devices
- Antennas on Glass
- Virtual Window in Glass Using FSS
- Chip less RFID and NFC
- MHz-to-THz Sensors for Healthcare Applications
- Mm- wave and THz Systems for Sensing and Communications
- 3D- Printed Antenna and RF Components
Biomedical and Bioinformatics Engineering.
- Biomedical Signal Processing.
- Biomedical imaging, image processing and visualization.
- Image and video and processing for medical images using machine learning and deep learning.
- Biomedical engineering and nanotechnology.
- Biomedical devices, sensors, and artificial organs.
- Bio-signal processing and analysis.
- Biometric and bio-measurement.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic services.
- Biomedical applications of IoT.
- Biomedical applications using machine learning and deep learning.
- Virtual reality and augmented reality systems.
- Wearable and Implantable Systems.
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- Health Care Systems.
- Machine learning in Bioinformatics.
- E-Health technology and devices.
- E-Health information processing.
- Health monitoring systems and wearable system
- Deep Learning for Telemedicine/E-Health applications and services.
- Telemedicine/E-Health application and services.
- DNA and RNA structure, function and sequence analysis.
- Gene engineering and protein engineering.
- Computer aided diagnosis.
2. Computer Science and Engineering
Parallel Computing & Computer Architecture
- High Performance Computing
- Heterogeneous Systems/Accelerators
- Parallelizing Compilers
- Quantum Computing
- Neuro-Processing Acceleration
- High Performance Architecture
- Processor architecture
- Multicore / Many–core Processors
- FPGA/ System Implementation
Computer Networks & Cyber Security
- Cloud Computing and Fog/Edge Computing
- Wireless NetworksInternet of Things (IoT)
- Interconnected VehiclesCellular Networks and 5G and Beyond
- Cloud/Centralized Radio Access Network (C-RAN)
- Cognitive Radio Networks
- Software-defined networks
- Network Security
- Wireless Network Security
- IoT Security
- Machine Learning
- Activity Recognition
- Natural Language Understanding
- Embedded Systems and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Resource-Aware Artificial Intelligence
Intelligent Systems & Computer Vision
- Deep Learning
- Data Mining
- AI and Multi-Agent Systems
- Object/Person/Face Detection
- Optical Character Recognition
- Image Segmentation
- 3D Computer Vision
- Feature Engineering
- Video Surveillance
● Computer Science and Engineering Research Main Themes
- Health Care
- Smart City
- Industry 4.0
- Quantum Computing Engineering
3. Mechatronics and Robotics Engineering
Mechatronics and Robotics Engineering
Micro/Nano Electro-Mechanical Systems
- Tactile sensing systems (Tactile sensors & Tactile display)
- Smart Sensor/ Actuators
- Energy Harvesting Devices (Piezoelectric / Electromagnetic, Frequency tuning, Frequency-Up Conversion, 2 and 3 DoF Energy Energy Harvesting devices)
- Microfluidics Systems (Micro droplet formation, micro mixing, micro sorting) for environmental and medical application
- Micro thermal systems (sensors/heater) and its applications
- Land mine detection sensors
- Development of micro pump or medical applications
- Gas sensors for environmental and medical application
- Micro optical sensors/Devices
- Rehabilitation/healthcare robots/ Assistive robots
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Prosthetic Devices
- Bio-Inspired Robots
- Brain-Based Devices
- Upper and lower limbs Assistive Devices
- Surgical Robots
Artificial Intelligence in Mechatronics and Robotics:
- AI and Robotics integration in Design, Control and Perception.
- Human-Robot Interaction/Collaboration.
- AI for Machine Vision in Robotics.
- Reinforcement Learning for Robotics Control.
- Swarm Robotics.
- Intelligent Control of Robotics Systems.
- Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) and Visual SLAM.
- Transfer Learning in Robotics and Mechatronics Systems.
- Embodied Intelligence in Rigid, Continuum and Soft Robotics Systems.
- Deep Learning based Control and State Estimation of Robotics Systems.
Bio-Inspired Soft Robotics
- Soft Serial manipulation and Soft gripper
- Soft Artificial Muscle and E-Skin
- Embodied Soft Intelligence
- Soft-folding modular robot
- Modeling of soft actuators
- Morphological computing
- Soft Biped Robots
- Soft ROV
Dynamics & Control Systems:
- Dynamic Modeling of Mechatronics-Multibody System
- Dynamics and Control of Flexible Robots & Flexible Multibody Systems
- Identification of Mechatronics Systems.
- Model Predictive Control of rigid, continuum, and hybrid Robotic system.
- Sliding Mode Control of Mechatronics Systems
- Robust Control of Uncertain Mechatronics Systems.
- Vibration analysis and Design of Harvesting systems.
- Control applications using FPGA.
- Autonomous Driving and Embedded Systems for Automotives
- Control of Mechatronics-Medical Devices.
4. Industrial Engineering and Systems Management
Applied Operations Research Laboratory
Container Terminal Planning and Analysis Applications
- Integrated Berth Allocation and Quay Crane Assignment.
- Discrete Event Simulation applications.
- Container Vessel Stowage Planning.
- Operating Room Planning and Scheduling.
- Nurse Planning and Scheduling.
- Simulation optimization of healthcare operations.
Energy and sustainability Management Applications
- Smart Grid Management and Optimization Models.
- Crop planning and irrigation water management and optimization.
- Green Vehicle Routing Problem/Pollution routing problem.
- Electric vehicle related problems: charging stations location allocation
- Autonomous trucks logistics problems.
- Ride hailing/sharing models.
Supply Chain Management and applications
- Data analytics based inventory and production planning and
- The joint replenishment problem.
Ergonomics and Human Factors Engineering
1- Applied Workspace Ergonomics
2- Design of household tools and kitchenware
3- Psychological workload assessment.
4- The association between Work factors and health outcomes.
5- Impact of long hours usage of handheld devices, mobile phones, and tablets on user's health. Work load (mental and physical) study for worker which is dealing with IT systems.
6- Motion and GAIT analysis in Orthopedics and Sports.
7- Eye tracking application in GUI design.
8- Man-machine system design for higher level automation
9- Touch panel usability for children and elderly people.
10- Movement/gait analysis for special needs-
Conventional Machining Laboratory
- Modelling and Simulation of Metal Cutting Processes.
- Ultrasonic-Assisted Machining (Milling or Drilling).
- Machining of Hard-to-Cut Materials (Milling or Drilling)
- Dynamic Interaction between Feed Drive Systems and Cutting Process in Milling Machines.
- The application of green cutting fluids in machining processes
- Nanotribology using advanced nano materials as cutting fluid additives.
Machine-Tool / Cutting Process Interaction
- Multi-Directional Ultrasonic-Assisted Milling of Hard-to-Cut Materials.
- Chatter Occurrence and Prevention in Milling of Thin-Walled Parts.
- Machine-Tool / Milling Process Interaction.
Machinery Condition Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis
- Early Fault Detection and Diagnosis of Rotating Machinery Components.
- Design and Control of Magnetic Bearings for Wind Turbine Systems
- Remaining Useful Life Estimation of Rolling Element Bearings.
5. Materials Science and Engineering
Nano-materials for energy, sensing, environmental and electronic applications
- Carbon Nanostructured Materials (Graphene, Carbon Nanofibers and CNTs): Synthesis, Characterization and Device Engineering in Supercapacitors / Batteries/Fuel Cells applications.
- Nano-Piezo Electronic Materials: Approaches to Energy Scavenging.
Mechanics of materials: Modeling, Simulation and characterization (properties, stress, strain and displacement)
- Electrical and Mechanical Properties of engineering materials and Biological Materials and Hydroxyapatite.
- Mechanics of superplastic forming and Micro-forming, Micro-Laser machining.
- Modeling and Simulation of smart materials in Multi-Physics and Multi-Scale Analysis Techniques.
- Fracture mechanics using finite element and Boundary Element techniques
- Material Models on Macro and Micro Levels for logical and biological materials and nanocomposites
- Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Composites and Nano-Composites
- Die and mold design for micro-injection forming
- Evaluation of damage and Fatigue Performance of New High Strength Materials for Structural Engineering Application
- Stir casting of metal matrix composites, Laser welding of similar and dissimilar materials
- crashworthiness and impact analysis of high strength alloys and composites, Modeling and Simulation.
<AFMM>Advanced Functional Metallic Materials (Design, Processing and Characterization)
- New Casting Technologies and Alloy Design Methodologies (including machine learning)
- Dental, Bio-Implants, And Bio-Degradable Metallic Materials
- Micro/Macro laser and advanced processing of metals
- Materials for Energy Storage (Thermal and Battery)
- 3D printing of ceramics, metals, and alloys (printability and characterization)
- High Entropy Alloys, Ultra-High Strength, and Super-Alloys for Structural, Nuclear and Power Plants Applications (Design, Production and Characterization)
- Shape Memory and Superelastic Alloys for Structural, Biomedical, And Sensing Application
- Metal Forming, Bulk-Nanostructure Materials and Severe Plastic Deformation
- Nanomaterials for biomedical, energy and structural applications (Production, Characterization and Applications)
- Green composites and natural fiber for engineering applications
- Advanced materials and systems for water treatments
Materials for Environmental and Biomedical Applications (MEBA)
- High performance patterned polymeric membranes for water treatment and desalination.
- Hybrid graphene/TMDs nanocomposites for water treatment and energy storage.
Polymeric and Composites materials
- Nanofiber formation technologies (electrospinning, solution blown, centrifugal spinning) and its applications (medical, energy, filtration…etc)
- Sustainable or green composites for industrial applications
Impact and dynamics properties of materials
- Dynamic fracture properties of composite materials
- High speed machining using split Hopkinson pressure bars.
- Measuring dynamic sliding Friction using split Hopkinson pressure bar
- Designing of new friction material composite for engineering applications
- Mechanical characterization of biomaterials
- Bulk molded composites and sheet molded composites enhancement for engineering applications
- Stir welding of dissimilar materials with pre and post treatment techniques
- Designing of special concrete composite for dynamic loads resistance application
- Dynamic properties of cellular and foam material
- Design and characterization of Function graded materials
6. Energy Resources Engineering
Alternative Energy Systems Laboratory
- Concentrator Photovoltaic (CPV/T) systems-Design and fabrication-Performance analysis
- Thermal regulation of Concentrator Photovoltaic (CPV/T) systems using Nanotechnology
- Hybrid Concentrator Photovoltaic/Thermoelectric power generator (CPV/TEG/T)-Design and performance evaluation- Modeling & Experiments
- Wind turbine aerodynamics - Modeling & Experiments
- Fuel Cell Technology (PEMFCs, DMFCs, and SOFCs)- Modeling & Experiments
- Solar Hydrogen production via Photoelectrochemical cells or Concentrator Photovoltaic/ Photoelectrochemical cells - Modeling & Experiments
- Thermal Hydraulic of nuclear reactors- Modeling & Experiments
- Geothermal energy in industrial applications- Modeling & Experiments
- Membrane desalination systems- Modeling & Experiments
Fluid Science and Engineering Laboratory
- Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer
- Micro-and Nano scale flows- Modeling, simulation, and Experimentation
- Flow in porous media- Modeling, Simulation, and Experimentation
- Complex fluid dynamics-Modeling & simulation
- Spray and liquid atomization systems - Design and characterization- Modeling, Simulation, and Experimentation.
- Multi-phase flows- Modeling, simulation, and Experimentation
- Multiscale Computations (Continuum-Meso), Molecular Dynamic Simulation
- Blood flow- Modeling, simulation, Experimentation
- Respiratory fluid mechanics- Modeling, Simulation, and Experimentation
Renewable Energy Systems Laboratory
- Renewable energy systems
- Renewable-energy-based multigeneration systems.
- Renewable energy- driven seawater desalination
- Thermal energy storage application in renewable energy system
- Renewable energy resources applications
- Design of solar energy system
- Solar systems for energy-efficient buildings
- Photovoltaics systems
- Wind Energy systems
- Solar-driven adsorption cooling systems
- Solar-driven multigeneration systems
- Hybrid adsorption desalination-cooling systems
- Solar energy utilization in water harvesting from atmospheric air
- Solar systems for energy-efficient housing
- Renewable energy-based hybrid adsorption-vapor compression refrigeration systems
- Thermoelectric System
- Heat Pipe
- Heat and mass Transfer
Fuel and Combustion Engines Laboratory
- Nanoparticles Synthesis using CI engines and Flames
- Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Burners
- Combustion and Co-combustion of Conventional and Green Fuels (H2, and NH3)
- Morphology and Nanostructure of soot
- Biomass Gasification and Carbonization
- Spray and Liquid Atomization
- Droplet Heating and Evaporation
- Performance of Compression Ignition Engines
- Alternative, Cleaner and Low-Grade Fuels
Energy Storage Systems Laboratory
- Energy storage systems including thermal, mechanical, electrochemical, and hydrogen storage.
- Passive and active cooling systems using innovative heat sink designs.
- Applications of energy storage in energy systems.
- Thermal energy storage in energy systems
- High-performance, cost-effective, and safe energy storage systems to power the next generation of electric-drive vehicles.
- Energy management strategies for Power Battery Packs, electronic components, and aerospace applications.
- Ground energy storage systems for energy efficiency and energy management in buildings to create smart, zero-carbon infrastructures.
- Ground Source Heat Pump Systems (GHP) for energy management in residential and commercial buildings.
Energy Conservation and Management
- Electric Vehicle and Fuel Cell Vehicle Energy Management Systems
- Intelligent Energy Management Strategies for PV-Wind–Fuel Cell- Energy Storage Hybrid Systems.
- Energy Audits, Efficiency and Managements
- Energy efficiency and energy management in buildings
- Ground Source Heat Pump Systems (GHP) for energy management
- Refrigeration and air conditioning
- Energy applications in buildings
- Waste heat recovery
7. Environmental Engineering
Waste Treatment and Management Laboratory
- Wastewater Treatment Technologies
- Industrial Waste Treatment and Management
- Biofuels, chemicals and bio-fertilizers production from solid wastes
- Hydrogen and Methane Generation from Waste Materials
- Waste Recycling and Management
- Applications of Nanotechnologies for Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Sludge Treatment
- Advanced Oxidation Processes
- Application of water chemistry and microbiology for treatment of organic
and inorganic pollutant
- Sustainability and sustainable development
- Environmental impact assessment
- Sustainable cities
- In-plant Control
- Cleaner Production
- Climate change Related to SDGs 2030
- Policy, strategy, control and management aspects of water quality.
- Artificial intelligence and smart wastewater management systems.
- Water 4.0 digital revolution.
- Municipal solid waste management.
- Hazardous waste management.
Natural Resources Management Laboratory
- Applications of Remote Sensing and GIS In Water Resources, including coastal zones.
- Sustainability of Water Resources Systems.
- Coastal and Ports modeling, Sediment transport, and Beach erosion studies
- Impact of Climate Change on water resources, including groundwater, coastal regions, coasts, and ports adaptation to climate changes
- Coastal Hazards Management and disaster risks
- Innovative coastal engineering/technologies to mitigate saltwater intrusion-based SLR
- Environmental Change Risk Analysis and assessment (storm surges, high waves, and flash floods)
- Economic evaluation of coastal hazards and coastal adaptations to SLR
Environmental Assessment and Management Laboratory
- Environmental Management for Sustaining a Green Environment
- Sustainable buildings and cities
- Greening the Built Environment
- Passive architecture and urban environment
- Building energy efficiency
- Impact of climate change on the design of energy efficient buildings
- Adapting urban planning for climate change
- Thermal mitigation effects of urban vegetation
- Natural ventilation efficiency of houses by using computational techniques
- Remote sensing and its applications in urban planning.
- Satellite images analysis to assess the surface thermal distribution in urban areas.
- Building materials for hot and humid climate
Air Quality Laboratory
- Air Pollution Assessment and Control
- Implementation of Nanotechnology for Pollution Control and Detection
- Sensors and Detectors Technology
- Assessment of Industrial Emissions
- Climate Change and Sustainability (Greenhouse Effect)
- Indoor Air Quality Improvement Techniques
- Air Pollution filtration and treatment
8. Chemicals and Petrochemicals Engineering
Chemicals and Petrochemicals Engineering
Design and Applications of separation Processes
Improving the performance and design of a new systems suitable for separation processes such as, Distillation, Liquid-Liquid Extraction, Gas Absorption, Adsorption, Membrane Separation, etc ….
Desalination using solar Energy
- Design of new solar collectors using nanofluids and its applications in water desalination
- Desalination Using Capacitive Deionization Techniques.
Design of wastewater treatment units and its applications
- Advanced Oxidation Techniques such as Plasma for Water Purification.
- Photocatalysis and its applications in water treatment
- Using New materials as ion exchange for water treatment
- Preparation of New electrodes and it applications for wastewater treatment by electrooxidation techniques.
Preparation of Nano-materials and its applications
- Ion exchange
- Fuel cells
- Super capacitors and energy storage materials
- Preparation of New Smart Materials and its applications for corrosion control
Catalysis and its applications.
- Photocataysis and its applications in wastewater treatment, Production of new chemical and petrochemical materials.
- Electrocatalysis and its Applications in Supercapacitors, Batteries, Sensors and Biosensors.
- Enzyme-catalysis and its applications in wastewater treatment, production of foodstuffs and pharmaceutical materials.
Membrane fabrication and modifications and its applications in
- Desalination and Ultrafiltration processes.
- Membrane Distillation
- Fuel cells and Hydrogen production
- Separation processes.
Design of Micro-reactor and its applications such as:
- Preparation of fine chemicals, food stuffs and pharmaceutical drugs, etc.
Development of new polymeric materials:
- Composites, insulators, fibrous materials and conducting polymers, etc.
Biodiesel production from agricultural and oil wastes.
Waste plastic recycling.
Sequestration of heavy metals from aqueous environment.
Simulation study of carbon dioxide utilization at natural gas processing towards zero emissions.
Simulation study of BTEX utilization during natural gas dehydration towards zero emissions.
Enhanced Oil Tertiary Recovery using nanomaterials.
9- Electrical Power Engineering
Electrical Power Engineering
Power System Planning, Operation and Control
- Power system stability
- Power system reliability
- Power system flexibility
- Power system resilience
- Power system security
- Flexible alternating current transmission systems (FACTS) applied to power systems
- Application of optimization methods to power systems
- Power system protection
- Monitoring and online diagnosis
- Control of power system
Networks for Renewable Generation
- Renewable Energy Technologies
- Microgrids and active distribution networks
- Virtual power plants and demand response
- Security assessment and risk analysis in renewable energy
- Assessment and the impacts of high penetration of renewable energy
- System side technologies/controls for renewable energy integration
- Demand side technologies/controls for renewable energy integration
- Grid modelling, simulation, and data management
- Energy Management Systems
- Wide Area Protection, Communication, and Control in Energy Systems
- New Trends and Technologies for Smart Grid
- Novel energy conversion studies in smart grid systems
- Microgrids for transportation electrification
- Power Devices and Driving Circuits for Smart Grid
- Decision Support Systems for Smart Grid
- ICT, IoT, Real-time monitoring and control
- Smart metering, measurement, instrumentation, and control
- Impact of Smart Grid on Distributed Energy Resources
- Smart homes, cities, communities
- Policies and Strategies for Smart Grid
- Market structure and operation
- Transmission cost/loss allocation
- Congestion management
- Pricing of energy and ancillary services
- Impact of renewable energy integration on Energy market operation
- Energy audit
- Modelling aspects of energy storage systems
- Control and planning of centralized and distributed energy storage
- Grid Scale energy storage
- Management and control of large number of distributed small storage, V2G and similar
- Battery Management Systems
Power electronics and machine drives
- Power electronics for renewable energy systems
- Power electronics applications in electric vehicles
- Power electronics for green power generations
- Power electronics converters applications in smart microgrids
- Power electronics applications in aircraft applications
- Power electronics applications in machine drives applications
- Power electronics applications in High voltage DC applications
- Electrical machines control
Net Zero Carbon Technologies
- Wind energy operation and control
- PV energy operation and control
- Green Energy Sources
- Clean hydrogen
- Electrification of major load sectors, Transportation is the main focus.
High voltage engineering and applications
- Development of nanocomposites for electrical insulation.
- Condition monitoring and diagnosis of power equipment.
- Aging phenomena of electrical insulating materials.
- Environmentally friendly materials for high voltage applications.
- Superconducting power equipment.